The cannon was cast (made from bronze) in 1837 and purchased by the Copperopolis Blues Union Guard, a military company organized of volunteer miners. It was used for training and ceremonial purposes during the Civil War. It shot 6 lb. cannon balls and was kept at or near the Armory. The cannon had wheels at one time to move it around easily. It was shot off for holidays and funerals until the early 1900’s. Around that time it was neglected and wound up in the Union Mine scrap pile.
We almost lost the cannon when a scrap metal dealer came to town, loaded it onto his wagon and headed down the road toward Milton. William Vickery, a local resident, and the last of the remaining members of the Copperopolis Blues Union Guard, saw the cannon go by, grabbed his horse and buggy. He overtook the junk dealer on the road and returned the cannon to town.


